Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.
Rescue Helpers Unite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them Empty Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them

Post by Goldie Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 pm

But there must be someone out there who has a garden and wouldn't mind these two old cats to live our their lives, they have been dematted and MOT'd by the vet. One has had 20 teeth removed, many of which were crumbling and pussey, but the other's teeth were okay.

Maddie and Laney cannot go back to their home with an elderly lady. She cannot give them the care the cats need.

FIV cats can live long happy lives but must not be let out of the garden or house, so as not to spread the disease and not to pick up any secondary infections. Just like HIV in humans FIV is not a death sentence nor a killing disease, it is a compromised immune system and it is usually a secondary problem that kills them, such as flu, because their immune system cannot fight.

FIV is passed from cat to cat via saliva and blood, etc. So as long as the cats do not eat from the same bowl or use the same litter trays as other cats, and as long as they do not share bodily fluids they could have a happy life. I do not recommend mixing them with your own cats although I have had FIV cats before in a household of ten cats and none of the others tested positive for FIV at any time. Vets might have more information on how the disease is spread.
Please can you help me find these two poor old ladies a home to live our their already elderly lives. Why not look FIV on the internet to get some more information.

At the moment they are banged up in a dog crate in my lounge, okay for now but not perfect.

I intend getting a re-test done once they have settled down and Maddie's mouth heals.

Lauren xxxx
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 1349
Name: : Lauren Grace
RHU Cases: : 27
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them Empty Re: Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them

Post by cracker Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Do you have a photo Lauren ? if so it might help and also putting them on cat chat might help there are many people who will take on the odlies and sick ones its just finding those people crossed
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 3716
Name: : Kim
RHU Cases: : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

http://www.freewebs.com/newforestanimalrescue

Back to top Go down

Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them Empty Re: Elderly (14), FIV positive and feral, I know what you are thinking, who would want to home them

Post by sugarbum Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:05 pm

pm'd Goldie
sugarbum
sugarbum
RHU Moderator
RHU Moderator

Female Number of posts : 3589
Name: : abbie
RHU Cases: : 4
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Sugarbum I will get photos but as you can imagine they are hiding at the moment. I have closed off the "I'm depressed" thread to start this one. "Ayrshiregal" wrote the below quote but I amnot sure I follow it. Bit tired at mo so no wonder. So I dragged it over to this thread for future reference.

Ayrshiregal (Mandy) wrote:
"just came across this, posted on catchat by the mod (Gemini Cat)

On our shelter listings, where we list rescues across the country, we could add a note to listings to indicate if a rescue is "FIV Friendly". We already keep an unofficial and unpublished list of FIV-Friendly rescues (not a complete list by any means, we add to it as and when we find out which ones are FIV-Friendly)

maybe she could help if we have any catchat members on the site?"
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by cracker Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 pm

If you go on cat chat and register ask one of the mods if it would be ok to post up about these cats also state that they are fiv so need an indoor home etc , i am a member but not post on there for some time hope that helps thumb
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Okay Kim thanks, after my hectic weekend coming up I will give that a go. They need some quiet time anyway. Its not an emergency, just that I don't want to overload myself with caged cats. x
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by cracker Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

who is giving these 2 rescue back up ???

just suddenly thought no idea if individuals can post cats or not so i know some of your cats go through a rescue you help out is that correct ?

if they are not back and you can not post them on cat chat then let me know and i will see what i can do ! thumb
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Detective Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Goldie - would Barbara be interested do you think ?
Cat Detective
Cat Detective
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 656
Name: : Debbie
RHU Cases: : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-19

http://felinenetwork.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 am

Cracker, Well I am on the Committee of my local rescue but they are only small so I do a lot of independent stuff and it would be nice to have rescue back up from an FIV friendly group. In reality I am offering the rescue back up, it is our group that is paying for their care at the moment and I would have them back if a new home did not work out but they are stuck in a dog crate in my lounge which is okay for a week but they need a proper home.

Debbie, Barbara cannot take them.

Can anyone find them a place in a cat free home or an FIV friendly group.

Ta, Lauren
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by cracker Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 am

ok thats what i thought your group would be back up well then i do think your best bet is to go on cat chat register you can start your own page on there so can put any other cats you need spaces for on there too its only cats so you might have more luck with fiv homes etc ,

they are a friendly bunch on there so go and register thumb
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Kim, I did put these two on the rehoming page on CATCHAT, but I find it a hard website to move around in, I did see something flash up about your own web page and tried to move forward but I think you have to make up the page and email it to them, so that means sitting down and arranging a page, which at the moment I have no time for. Just getting by. So until I can get my head around things the rehoming post I put on CatChat will have to do. Thanks for advice. I did that today, can you see it?
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarbum Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:42 pm

pm'd cracker
sugarbum
sugarbum
RHU Moderator
RHU Moderator

Female Number of posts : 3589
Name: : abbie
RHU Cases: : 4
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cracker Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 pm

it is quite a hard site to fathom out but i must admit if you email them pics and details they will do it for you thumb

i dont think my page is showing at the moment as i need to update Rolling Eyes

i will have a look see if i can see you what is your page called

also you dont have to arrange it as such just send pic and a right up about the cat/cats then it goes up on the site i think not been on for a while scratch
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Ziggyzig and Captain P have added the cats as a private rehoming on catchat so that is another place they are on.

I didn't put my blind deaf cat Pepper on that site, my friend apparently did but I didn't know until a lovely lady phoned me offering him a home.

SO THERE IS HOPE!!!!!

Can anyone offer these two old ladies a home, they just want a garden and perhaps a couple of warm beds in a shed with a cat door, and two meals a day, that's all.

I think they could be split if that is the only way I can get them a home.

I DON'T have a garden, and that's why I am appealing to you all.

Please help. x
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:33 am

Goldie wrote:Ziggyzig and Captain P have added the cats as a private rehoming on catchat so that is another place they are on.

I didn't put my blind deaf cat Pepper on that site, my friend apparently did but I didn't know until a lovely lady phoned me offering him a home.

SO THERE IS HOPE!!!!!

Can anyone offer these two old ladies a home, they just want a garden and perhaps a couple of warm beds in a shed with a cat door, and two meals a day, that's all.

I think they could be split if that is the only way I can get them a home.

I DON'T have a garden, and that's why I am appealing to you all.

Please help. x
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:33 am

Maddie and Lainey are still looking for a retirment home. They are old so although it is a commitment, its not a long term commitment, They are quiet and sweet and are getting used to me, they just want a quiet home with someone who will accept them for who they are and not expect a lap cat. For those of you with no feral cat experience, even house ferals can bring out your protective instincts, you kind of love them more because they are so needy. They are not nasty just very nervous, they are not really even feral cats, they were born in this lady's garden and completely dependent on humans. I cannot even understand why they are nervous, they have spend 14 years with one human, but there were four of them, so perhaps she just didn't try hard enough to win them over.

please help.
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by jennybloggs Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:45 am

hi goldie.. just curious.. you say FIV cats can pass through saliva? they say that HIV cant be.. so just wondering if thats right?
jennybloggs
jennybloggs
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2150
Name: : Carol
RHU Cases: : 40
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jennybloggs Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 am

ah.. have just looked it up, it seems it is the main source of infection in cats , whereas HIV is only present in minute quantities in saliva in humans and there is only one known case on transmission by kissing, and that is because there was blood present in the mouth.
jennybloggs
jennybloggs
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi, I think the saliva thing is about how tomcats bite the back of the female neck to hold her still in mating, also biting in fighting, sharing food, etc. but ....

I did find this below information on CatChat which I have posted on the below thread. I do not know where it came from originally but it is so helpful and informative and honest and will put a lot of myths and fears to rest. Pls do read it if you were considering taking Maddie, Lainy or the other young garden FIV tomcat. I hav had an FIV in the past and he died because he fell from the bench and was ancient, not because he had FIV.

https://rescuehelpersunite.forumotion.com/animal-chat-f143/fiv-in-cats-not-evil-not-a-death-sentence-just-a-manageable-breakdown-in-immunity-t18341.htm#305704
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by jennybloggs Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 am

ah, well that would make it more like to human one.. so not as likelyto be through shared food which would be reassuring?
jennybloggs
jennybloggs
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Am managing to scratch Maddie's head a little whilst she eats. A small step forward. x
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:54 pm

So cute, normally after I feed all the cats their meal I go around with treats. I FORGOT (SIN OF ALL SINS) the two cats in the large dog crate, but the door of the crate is open when I am home and MADDIE, was standing at the door looking at me leaning forward as though she was wondering where hers was, so I put some in front of her and she let me scratch her head again. Just popped out of the cage but went back in. I really think that if someone in a quiet flat could bring them around to being just companions. Perhaps someone who already has an FIV cat that has recently lost a cat companion?
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:07 pm

I have had to move them into the bathroom cos the boiler is being serviced tomorrow a.m. and the cage is on a table in front of the cupboard. Unfortunately this means they can hide better. Inspite of that I managed to pick up and cuddle Lainey. So scared she couldn't move. Hope she learns to trust me. Maddie is very thin, probably from not being looked after in the right way, i.e. had pussey rotten teeth. Hopefully she is putting on weight now her teeth are all out and is enjoying pain free food. I can scratch her head but she is a bit feistier than Lainy. Early days yet.

CAN ANYONE JUST LET THEM LIVE OUT THEIR TWIGHLIGHT YEARS in a closed in, safe garden with access to perhaps a conservatory in the winter.

They just need love and kindness and food and watching over.

xxxx
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Maddie escaped from the bathroom and I couldnt find her anywhere, finally found her hiding place tonight. Will leave her there I think. Lainy is still petrified but I am putting her on my lap and cuddling her each night for 20 mins, hoping she will stop worrying about everything.

STILL LOOKING FOR A HOME, A FLAT SITUATION MIGHT BE OKAY BUT THEY ARE VERY SHY.

Lauren
Goldie
Goldie
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Detective Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Ah, do you think an indoor home would suit? I have someone in mind, but the cats would not be able to get out, I was hoping to keep the placement for maybe an FIV pos indoor cat, but its a thought ?
Cat Detective
Cat Detective
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 656
Name: : Debbie
RHU Cases: : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-19

http://felinenetwork.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next