Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.
Rescue Helpers Unite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety during transportation.

+13
Charlotte
cate.
hughy
Jod
ElaineC
ayrshiregal
Missymoo
LianneC
Mad Lensman
phoenix
Gayle
mafric
Ruby's Mum
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Safety during transportation. - Page 4 Empty Re: Safety during transportation.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Charlotte

welcome to RHU. This isn't a witch hunt, it's just a thread trying to alert people (transporters, potential transporters and rescues themselves) about the dangers and possible problems faced by volunteers on a regular basis when they volunteer to transport animals. There are things being brought up which every transporter needs to be aware of an dthere are also people trying to be constructive about what we as a community can do to prevent problems arising from our helping of the animals. Please accept apologies if it seemed to be a witch hunt.... When my gob get's in gear, me brain is often released into neutral....! Smile
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Male Number of posts : 452
Name: : Obi-se-wan
RHU Cases: : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-28

http://www.star-traks-origins.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 am

Hi Charlotte, welcome to RHU wave

It would be nice if everything could just be done with trust, but as RHU gets bigger these things must be considered. It would be awful if RHU was in an awkward position if something was to go wrong.

In a few years this place could very well have 10,000+ members (has 2000+ now after 1 year) so it's better to think about these things now I reckon thumb

(EDITED to add: Oh actually there's 1300+. Have some of the accounts been cleared out as I thought we were over 2000?)

Ruby's Mum wrote:The question is do I ask my insurance for clarification and bring it to their attention so they can add a premium at will or in the event of an accident do I just say I was on the way to a friend with their dog?
Re: insurance - I am with Diamond and have discussed with them that I transport animals as a volunteer and they said there was no extra charge and I was covered under my original policy. I think different companies have different policies on this so you never know until you ask.
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2378
Name: : Jo
RHU Cases: : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-01

http://www.savethestrays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 am

jo, i was with diamond (breifly) and they did charge me, :S
phoenix
phoenix
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2013
Name: : jayne
RHU Cases: : 17
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:19 am

I thought I remembered someone had said they had to pay with Diamond...that's weird scratch
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:19 am

Jod wrote: It would be awful if RHU was in an awkward position if something was to go wrong.

Please remember, RHU is a database and in the link below, as stated, we bear NO responsibility for the transportation of animals.

https://rescuehelpersunite.forumotion.com/urgent-transport-needed-f158/rhu-s-transporting-guidelines-please-read-t8337.htm

It is the rescues responsibility to safeguard all animals in their care. Having said that, we do do our best to advise members and rescues with the templates and rules that are in place Very Happy

Jod wrote: Oh actually there's 1300+. Have some of the accounts been cleared out as I thought we were over 2000?)

Over 2 weeks ago, non posting members have had their accounts deleted, some have rejoined and filled in the database, which is great thumb

Ruby's Mum wrote: The question is do I ask my insurance for clarification and bring it to their attention so they can add a premium at will or in the event of an accident do I just say I was on the way to a friend with their dog?

You are always advised to tell your insurance company of any change to your policy. I would let them know you are a transporting volunteer, failing this can lead to your insurance being void.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:20 am

So, after this lengthy discussion did we decide that ID cards should have the go-ahead? Question
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BB_Linda Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 am

I don't think I'd like to have an ID card if I had to give over personal details. A rescue gave my phone number to another rescue without my permission once, and I was really upset. So I'm not giving my details out as a matter of course!

I give my car make and description to people I meet for a transport run and I give them my phone number because I pretty much have to, but I always tell them not to pass it on. It's a risk I take that they won't, I do it for the dogs, because people who have said they won't do pass it on!

For information,. Defra told me if you transport more than one dog at a time that is not your own you need a licence (which I think is free). I was asking for my dog walking as I sometimes carry dogs.

BB_Linda
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 353
Name: : Linda
Registration date : 2008-12-20

http://www.brentwooddogwalker.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 am

BB_Linda wrote:For information,. Defra told me if you transport more than one dog at a time that is not your own you need a licence (which I think is free). I was asking for my dog walking as I sometimes carry dogs.

thanks I will look into this. thumb

Back to top Go down

Post by BB_Linda Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 am

Sorry, I can't find the name of the person I spoke to. He was going to look up more information and ring me back and never did. The website is a nightmare - I couldn't find anything on it, but I rang the Animal Health Helpline on 0845 603 8395

BB_Linda
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 am

Ah brilliant, thank you. I was struggling with their website as well! lol!

I'll see if I can get a definitive answer from them and get a post up or something to let members know what they need to do. Smile gdpost

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Design Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 am

I know driving licenses have already been said, as have the counter agruements for them, what about using passports in addition? most people have them Smile

ID cards would be an idea, maybe a fundraising competiton to design them? *hint hint*

Phoenix Design
Addicted
Addicted

Male Number of posts : 281
Name: : Dex
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.phoenix-design.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BB_Linda Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:30 am

I haven't got a passport or a photo driving licence. I don't have any photo id at all.

BB_Linda
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by vexy Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 am

BB_Linda wrote:I haven't got a passport or a photo driving licence. I don't have any photo id at all.

Same here :$ .
vexy
vexy
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 1751
Name: : Gilly
RHU Cases: : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-20

http://canecorsoukmolosserrescue.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:21 am

neither have i, the only photo ID i have is my ID badge for our local rescue
phoenix
phoenix
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2013
Name: : jayne
RHU Cases: : 17
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm wondering would RHU t-shirts be an easier first step? It will help to advertise and identify volunteers on a transport/homecheck/at animal events etc. but it wouldn't need everyone to send any ID at this point and wouldn't create much extra work for anybody.

We could set up a design on spreadshirt and people could order as and when they want to without there being any money outlayed on RHU's part.
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacobean Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 am

I've been arranging transport runs for 5 years for various rescues. 4 years for Oldies Club. We have had liability insurance in place for ooooh about 3 years maybe? What I always say on threads I post is that we do have full liability insurance in place BUT that all transporters are asked to contact their own motor insurers and tell them they are transporting dogs for rescue on a voluntary basis. There is usually no additional charge on their premium for this. However on the odd occasion volunteers have said that the insurance company have said there will be a charge.

To get a dog safely into a foster home we would gladly reimburse this cost if we couldn't find another volunteer. We've not yet had a transporter tell us they have helped us with a run and have had to pay this charge. When questioned on the odd occasion it has been confirmed by the volunteers that there wasn't a charge. There seems to be the odd insurer that does.

What I point out on threads these days is that although most occurrences will be covered by our insurance there is some responsibility on the shoulders of the transport volunteer. If the insurance companies decide that any incident is the fault of the volunteer then our insurance may not pay out and will be wanting to claim from the volunteer's insurance. So most incidents would be covered by our insurance.

The welfare of volunteers is every bit as important as the welfare of rescue dogs. I've had discussions with volunteers where they have got quite stroppy with me because they wanted to transport a dog loose in their car. An unknown dog that I hadn't met, never mind them. So I didn't use the volunteer because I cannot put people at risk however much they want to help.

Transport runs have been arranged for several years now. Most without any incidents.

Although I personally have been arranging runs for 5 years I am still using new volunteers a lot of the time. As volunteers are found to complete a run close to a deadline I do not have the time (even if Oldies Club had the money) to send out ID cards and check out paperwork.

If someone wants to go steal a dog etc it's easy to just pretend you're someone else. Which is why we ask homecheckers to ask to see sight of a household bill for the potential adopters name and address.

Volunteers and rescues working together has always been on trust. There is a shortage of transport volunteers in many areas. Oldies Club have a few volunteers that regularly help us but many new folk who step in as their own lives are busy and circumstances change.

We issue transporting guidelines and a transport form. We also ask transporters to swap vehicle details and phone numbers. We have been recording this info and addresses ourselves for over a year. Sometimes volunteers don't give us the information and because of data protection we can't insist upon this. Also because of data protection we don't give out contact info without receiving volunteers permission and advise them who we are about to give it to.

We do rely on volunteers to tell us if someone they have met hasn't transported a dog securely or has gone against our wishes.

Hope this helps.

Jacobean
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 464
Name: : Michelle
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:54 am

I would suggest to rescues/reps that ALL members who are helping with a transport run MUST give car details, reg numbers etc before the run commences. Even full addresses, off the forum of all members helping also. Also both mobile numbers and home phone numbers, where applicable.

fitness dvds
CAR AND TRUCK TIRES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4