Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.
Rescue Helpers Unite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Your comments needed please*

+9
Jacobean
K9Karma
Rainrescue
Admin
bramblesmum
Jod
Spooks
LianneC
Neapolitan Mastiff Admin
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

*Your comments needed please* - Page 2 Empty Re: *Your comments needed please*

Post by Rainrescue Thu May 21, 2009 4:18 am

Hopper - sorry that wasn't meant to be curt.
I think its suggestions in progress and not cut and dried yet. I hope that at the end of it we should be able to raise more money - without it being hard work for anyone - once we have best practise in place.
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 334
Name: : Jacquie
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://www.rainrescue.co.uk/sheffield.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Thu May 21, 2009 4:30 am

I agree, it just looks like it's going to take some time and brain power to get things up and running but then good things never come easy do they Very Happy

We will get there people! Have faith!
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2378
Name: : Jo
RHU Cases: : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-01

http://www.savethestrays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopper Thu May 21, 2009 7:25 am

But my rescue doesnt run with just one vet, I have a few UK wide due to animals being in foster care homes further a field. Some of the vets arent the easiest to get along with and just getting the damm invoices sent out is hard enough.

Also i got the impression RHU are wanting to see printed off proof from a document, so we have to get one off vets then scan on to pc??
Hopper
Hopper
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 810
Name: : Andrea
RHU Cases: : 7
Registration date : 2008-12-17

http://rattiemommysallcarerescue.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neapolitan Mastiff Admin Thu May 21, 2009 8:56 am

Jod wrote:I agree, it just looks like it's going to take some time and brain power to get things up and running but then good things never come easy do they Very Happy

We will get there people! Have faith!

Nice post. Please everyone try to see there are reasons for this and we've all got to work through the suggestions to try and something out that is achieveable for everybody so that when people donate, it can be in good faith. hug
Neapolitan Mastiff Admin
Neapolitan Mastiff Admin
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 330
Name: : ~Jaq~
Registration date : 2007-12-30

http://www.neapolitanmastiffwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacobean Thu May 21, 2009 9:00 am

We're the same Hopper. We have fosterers all over the UK and so have numerous vets all over too. Maybe you should ask for volunteers to help you with fundraising or attend events maybe?

Sorry to go a bit off topic but Hopper sounds like they need help.

Jacobean
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 464
Name: : Michelle
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Aren't many the same who come on here?
I don't think there are any large rescues who would be applying for help with funding are there? Most of the people on here that are struggling are the same and almost all will be having dogs needing vet treatment at one-off vets? I know we do too - but I manage the bills fine.

So whats the progress on this - it seems to be slipping by
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 am

i think applications would work well, and perhaps guidelines of who can apply maybe?

ie no offence but rspca branch couldnt or wood green
Admin
Admin
RHU Creator
RHU Creator

Female Number of posts : 10046
Name: : Kathryn
RHU Cases: : 10
Registration date : 2007-12-21

http://www.rescuehelpersunite.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I think all it takes is a few pics of the animal concerned don't you?

I totally agree with you - places like rspca branches and large rescues who have money in the bank - not a chance, because they have obv. got people who are already fund raising for them.

this fund is for the rescues that come onto RHU and that regularly take in dogs that are in crisis. Or for those that are constantly helping dogs in pounds who always have vet fees.

What can we do to start and progress this then Admin?
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 am

Rainrescue wrote:I think all it takes is a few pics of the animal concerned don't you?

I totally agree with you - places like rspca branches and large rescues who have money in the bank - not a chance, because they have obv. got people who are already fund raising for them.

this fund is for the rescues that come onto RHU and that regularly take in dogs that are in crisis. Or for those that are constantly helping dogs in pounds who always have vet fees.

What can we do to start and progress this then Admin?

gdpost

Lots of small rescues come on here who consistently take dogs in danger of being put to sleep and incur kennelling fees and potential vet expenses and who are all run by volunteers on a shoe string. These are the type of rescues who need fundraising help IMO.

Obviously would have to be some sort of vetting proceedure but we all are aware on here of the consistency of the smaller rescues on RHU. Obviously any rescue wishing to be included would need to abide by normal rescue rules of homecheck neutering etc and perhaps anybody new applying to join the scheme would have to have a period of time on the board, during which their commitment was seen, and perhaps have a "homecheck" done at the kennels (if used) by an experienced homechecker.

Just some suggestions Smile

mole
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 719
Name: : Kathy
RHU Cases: : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:43 am

well it would be handy to have money in an rhu account first lol
Admin
Admin
RHU Creator
RHU Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:02 am

I thought there was around £150 in there from Phil's photo comp?

mole wrote:Obviously any rescue wishing to be included would need to abide by normal rescue rules of homecheck neutering etc and perhaps anybody new applying to join the scheme would have to have a period of time on the board, during which their commitment was seen, and perhaps have a "homecheck" done at the kennels (if used) by an experienced homechecker.

Good idea clap
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2378
Name: : Jo
RHU Cases: : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-01

http://www.savethestrays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Rainrescue wrote:
The ideas are good here - TBH Any rescue who is helping out and who regularly uses the forum - will always have vets fees of their own. Ok - so dogs may move on - but as long as the money is paid to the vet directly - then that will stay there for the next castration/neuter/emergency treatment that the rescue may need. Not perfect - but a comfort blanket.

gdpost

Please also bear in mind, rescues should always have a fall back plan, money wise for emergency situations. RHU donations shouldn't be relied upon as a source to justify taking animals into rescues care. We are an added bonus if you like Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacobean Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

That would work for rescues that use the same vets all of the time but there are lots of rescues that don't. Yes you're right Julie rescues should have funds in to cover costs of the animals in their care.

Jacobean
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:11 pm

thanks Michelle Smile

Any other ideas? crossed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:22 pm

So - what can we do to move this forward?

Can admin have a look at it, maybe merge the threads where many members are proposing that we as members all do try to raise central funds.

Who they go out to - and how thats monitored can be looked at when we get our first £500? maybe?
this has gone on for so long now, who is it that can actually make a decision please?
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Detective Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Quite late to this thread so sorry if it has already been mentioned, but can folk maybe not use the JustGiving site - you can set up payment to go to pretty much anywhere legit, and you get a ticker, and also gift aid. Might not always work but it might sometimes !
Cat Detective
Cat Detective
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 656
Name: : Debbie
Registration date : 2009-05-19

http://felinenetwork.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:38 pm

We looked at using Justgiving but it would cost us £15.00 per month i think it is, and we didn't think we would get that much money donated to us from it.

Its ok for the larger charities who are well known to use it, or someone who is organising and promoting a big event or something, but for small groups - and also non reg. charities - its another pain i think

good idea tho
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:50 pm

The original thread i started was for a particular animal in distress/ rescues requesting monies for said animal, for vet fees to be, hopefully, donated by generous RHU members, vet quotes to be included and ticker counter.

I'm still listening ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Good one Julie - so where do we go from here do you think?
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Back to the template on the first post i made. If any rescues wish to ask for RHU donations/pledges for a said animal, this is the least we expect. If rescue face difficulties with this request then staff are at hand to help at all times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Detective Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 pm

So if folk wish to donate, would it be ad hoc, or maybe a SO - so you had funds there if needed - I would plump for the latter myself, even if everyone did say £20 a month - would that work ?
Cat Detective
Cat Detective
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 656
Name: : Debbie
Registration date : 2009-05-19

http://felinenetwork.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainrescue Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:40 am

I think it needs to be a regular small amount by a lot of people - if people wanted to give more - then that would be fantastic - but nobody is pressured into any value at all.

But if we asked the 1500 members on here, if they would be prepared to give £2.00 pcm - by standing order, and add Gift Aid, that would add an extra 28p to every pound if the person was a tax payer.
ta
Rainrescue
Rainrescue
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:09 am

Personally I can't see vets wanting to administer anything except their own bills & I can't see why the forum needs / wants to do so either?

To me, it's simple a rescue has a dog, cat or whatever other animal that needs help and a vet that will provide it.

If they need to appeal for help they do so & any member can choose to support that appeal or not.

If the rescue ends up with more money than they needed I don't have a problem with that providing it's used for the next needy animal - anyone who thinks that all of the major charities aren't operating in exactly that manner is just deluding themselves!

I wouldn't however personally knowingly give any money I did have to give to any third party appeal pot - there will probably always be more animals in need than I can afford to help so to me it then just enables them to decide which dog I will or wont help with my money - why should I do that when I can retain that decision myself?

Ian
Addicted
Addicted

Male Number of posts : 221
Name: : Ian
RHU Cases: : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:27 am

ian i agree to an extent decision wise, but many people in the past have been conned for want of a better word?

this way if it was done via rhu rhu would no how much money has been sent to the individual rescues, making sure that the smaller ones that really struggle, ones that take on poundies or whatever would stand more of a chance.
Admin
Admin
RHU Creator
RHU Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacobean Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 am

Vets won't give a report before treatment commences. The cost side can change so quickly. Just as an example Sandy the lab just had to have his spleen removed. We were quoted £300 and the bill actually came through at £650.86. There are some costs still to come through from follow up visits since.

So some of your template is fine but not all of it would work.

Vets aren't great on the admin side of things. Some of the time they won't set up an account and want to be paid on the spot. We deal with a number of vets like that. I have to ring them and give the debit card info. There is no way any of the vets we deal with would be happy with lots of payments coming through to pay off one bill.

It would work better if funds were given to the RHU pot and then when the donations cease send them to the rescue concerned. Or come to an agreement adhoc if the rescue happens to have no funds in to pay the bill,as some I guess would need it sooner. (Although any rescue taking a dog in should have funds to cover any eventuality and this actually should be helping them to be able to take in future dogs).

This all on the understanding that the rescue produces a copy of the vets bill to prove the amount of money spent on a particular dog. Most invoices by the way just give the name of the dog and don't state the breed so you wouldn't necessarily have proof of breed of dog etc. But it should be in the name of the rescue so you would know they had actually incurred costs of that amount.

I can only give examples from our experiences but I'm sure many rescues probably would hit the same kind of issues.

Jacobean
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next