Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.
Rescue Helpers Unite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

idea for home checkers

+4
Mad Lensman
cracker
Flying_Solo
sarah.so
8 posters

Go down

idea for home checkers Empty idea for home checkers

Post by sarah.so Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:41 pm

just an idea that i thought might help .... me included!

would it be possible for rescues that ask on here to do home checks for there to be a brief about the breed?

for example, i own - or am owned i should say by an akita.. who has very different needs to a boxer dog.

Some akitas like to be outside alot of the time & would quite happily spend time in a run or kennel - yet i now know that boxers have very little fur underneath so this would not be suitable.

i thought maybe if there was a locked post about breeds and what is and isnt possible or advisable for people like myself that are finding out new things each day we can when necasary print these off before doing home checks for other rescues. and so have knowledge?
sarah.so
sarah.so
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 788
Name: : Sarah
RHU Cases: : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.jawt.co.uk

Back to top Go down

idea for home checkers Empty Re: idea for home checkers

Post by Flying_Solo Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:04 pm

I think that is a really good idea, but i wonder if we have enough breed specific people to write one down?
Flying_Solo
Flying_Solo
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 2229
Name: : Sophie
RHU Cases: : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

http://www.petsittinginprogress.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:12 pm

It is a good idea but RHU is about helping all animals and not just dogs alone Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Then perhaps we could have something for homechecks for different breeds and type of animal?

Although I think that would take FOREVER. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by cracker Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm

think thats a good idea sarah , as we all know all breeds are different !!

but also all dogs within certain breeds are also different , but it would help homechecker's if they had certain knowledge of breeds thumb
cracker
cracker
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 3716
Name: : Kim
RHU Cases: : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-04

http://www.freewebs.com/newforestanimalrescue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:16 am

when i'm asked to do a homecheck on a breed i'm not familiar with, i take it upon myself to remind myself about this breeds quirks, as some who adopt are first timers and dont actually know the behaviour traits that accompany there chosen breed untill i tell them at the homecheck, some breeds of dog are harder work than others especially when they reach a certain age Rolling Eyes some breeds are prone to particular health problems, ive been homechecking for over 10 years and only ever had two dogs returned, so i think IMHO that for the benifit of the animal in question a little research should be done by the homechecker because often adopers fall for the awww factor before the facts, especially first timers, if a particular dog has been selected then i ask the rescue in question about that dogs behaviour and charactor then disscus this with the potental owners so they are 100% positive they know exacly what they are getting, and what areas they need to work on with that particular dog

jayne (phoenix) Razz

Last edited by Mad Lensman on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i'm not mark)
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Male Number of posts : 452
Name: : Obi-se-wan
RHU Cases: : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-28

http://www.star-traks-origins.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah.so Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:20 am

Hi Jayne - i totally get where your coming from & did do this myself - look up the boxer breed, but no where did it say that the boxer was not happy to be left in kennels even for a short time because they do not have much fur covering there tummy... an akita the breed im used to can quite happily live outside.

so not all things when you look them up are explained - & i wouldnt have thought of that.
sarah.so
sarah.so
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 788
Name: : Sarah
RHU Cases: : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.jawt.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by penny Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Can anybody tell me the criteria for becoming a home checker? I have 2 dogs and a cat of my own, have worked at my families boarding cattery and kennels for the past 20 years. I have owned 18 horses in total and do voluntary driving for rochdale dog rescue, I am not sure what more experience I need?
I also work for the local council doing home visits for council tax. Do I need to accompany another homechecker for so many visits before I can do one on my own?

penny

Female Number of posts : 21
Name: : Angela
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Obviously Penny your knowledge of the animal/rescue world helps. Although on the other hand you can become a competent homechecker with very little experience of this.

You gain more experience by tagging along with someone who has experience/ skills and insight of what to look for for the relevant needs of the animal which is paramount. You will always have a criteria to follow and a form to fill in at your visit which does vary from rescue to rescue.

The amount of tagalong visits needed is up to that particular person or rescue. As long as you feel confident and knowledgeable enough, which is always gained by experience anyway. Hope this helps, good luck Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by twigletsmum Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:35 pm

This is the sort of thing I have already suggested, but it was posted that the KC do a breed standard for all breeds of dogs and that should cover all things that we need to know. Personally, I don't think this is the case, and I don't feel that all homecheckers would be bothered to look it up either. I think it's a good idea to have a short piece on the most common breeds in rescue to start with, and then add on the more unusual. It doesn't have to be just dogs. It could also cover cats, horses, and all creatures great and small Wink
twigletsmum
twigletsmum
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 5213
Name: : Philippa
RHU Cases: : 17
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDogmother Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:25 am

When I do homechecks I take great pains to explain that it's never a pass or fail. It's about me getting enough information about the home and teh peoples lifestyles, level of experience, ages etc to allow the rescue to match the right dog to the right family. So, although I am familier with the more common dog breads and the most common quirks like bozers and GSD's, labs, cockers, springers, lurchers and Dobies - I don't claim to be an expert. I can advise on making some adjustments - like a high gate not a waiste hight one for a young boxers home etc. I can let the rescue know that the home will be making these adjustments and specifying a time scale this will be done by. Then I entrust all the information to the rescue and assume the rescue will indeed make the best match for teh dogs. That way it doesn't matter that I don't know the individual dogs specific quirks because teh rescue does. They will know that bessy likes to dig underneath wire fences, but oscar likes to chase cats. They will match Oscar to a cat free environment and bessy to a family who have sunken logs around the perimiter of the garden. If I were to do a home check for a more unusual breed I don't have experience of then I would of course check it out before hand. For instance I may be fostering a chinchilla for a few days. I know begger all about them - but I will be compitently knowledgeable before she arrives.
I guess teh short version of what I'm trying to say is - everyone on here is reasonably responcible about animals or they simply wouldn't be on here. But having links to good information never hurt anyone Smile
TheDogmother
TheDogmother
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 4378
Name: : Diane Simons
RHU Cases: : 72
Registration date : 2008-01-14

http://www.thedogmother.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Care Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 am

When we get someone to homecheck for our rescue we give them as much info about the animal as possible - anything the fosterers have passed on to us whether it is good/bad or simply funny.

I have a boxer/pointer cross - who has to be dragged indoors when it is cold/raining/snowing as he just loves to be outside ... I also used to have a lovely terrier with thick hair who was not overkeen on the big outdoors unless it was warm and dry.

Care
Becoming addicted
Becoming addicted

Female Number of posts : 190
Name: : Georgina
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.ceredigionanimalrescue.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down