Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Rescue Helpers Unite
Welcome Back to RHU, Please Login to view your private messages and Dont forget to check out the URGENT section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY REGISTERED PLEASE DO SO, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL BOARDS,

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL: admin@rescuehelpersunite.co.uk where a staff member will try to help.

see you on the board

Thanks.
Rescue Helpers Unite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety during transportation.

+13
Charlotte
cate.
hughy
Jod
ElaineC
ayrshiregal
Missymoo
LianneC
Mad Lensman
phoenix
Gayle
mafric
Ruby's Mum
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Safety during transportation. - Page 3 Empty Re: Safety during transportation.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 am

Jod wrote:
Mad Lensman wrote:gdpost Exactly what I had in mind - Nice to see some common sense there Hughy rather than the "ohhh... Can't do that, it wouldn't be the done thing" attitude... - Thank you!

I was just being realistic Smile I don't believe that the individual transporters will go and check up on other transporters every time a transport run is done (I know I wont) and I don't think most Rescues have the time for that either.

I'm sorry if you think that's the wrong attitude but I just think we should come to the easiest and most logical solution for all. :S Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

i don't see hwat's wrong with checking their ID badge Jo?? if they are a voluntary part of a transport run then they know they will have to do it anyway if it comes into play, and it's not negativity when things have already gone wrong, it's taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again, we all learn from these things and it is a positive step towards safety.

i don't think having an ID badge and proving who you are to get that ID badge is too much to ask for really, anyone not willing to do it woon't be able to help out will they! i think it's a wonderful idea and would put my mind at ease, especially if it was one of my dogs on a run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:29 am

Well Im up for an I.D badge thumb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:43 am

Baldylocks wrote:i don't see hwat's wrong with checking their ID badge Jo??

Nothing at all wrong with that Emma, I was talking about checking that other transporters cars are insured as Mark suggested.

I'm WELL up for ID badges Smile
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2378
Name: : Jo
RHU Cases: : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-01

http://www.savethestrays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:47 am

Embarassed whoops sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:32 am

i've always thought it was second nature for transporters to swap car details and roughly where there gonna park anyway, i always give my car description and reg plate to the person i'm meeting in a PM, therefore keeping my personal data on a need to know bases
the majority of runs posted here, are posted elsewhere, so i ask the question why do staff here feel we need ID badges to volunteer to do a run posted here, when we can do exactly the same run for the same rescue via another forum where we are trusted, ok so we dont get our RHU point, but runs have been happening for donkeys years elsewhere without many problems,

i really still think all transport runs are based on trust and common sense by all parties,
phoenix
phoenix
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 2013
Name: : jayne
RHU Cases: : 17
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:45 am

i think the only issue really is that there have been a lot of new transporters come onboard due to RHU, many other places use known and trusted people, but there has to be that opportunity to have new people so that more can be done, and i think it is the fact that new people have not been ignored and been allowed to help out that has made this forum so successful in getting things done quickly and efficiently, it is just infortunate that things have happened to stop the trust.

i feel there does need to be some sort of simple check, that can be done alongside the homecheck for the transport too.

Back to top Go down

Post by cate. Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 am

As a newby on here, and as of yet, have npt dpme a transport run. am been nervous on a few accounts. I think also you need to give guide lines as such.
I today contacted my insurance to see if I had to inform them I would possible being doing this runs, Yes they have to be i9nformed also a charge is made on my insurance, even tho this is a charity base and not doing for money. Was also told if stopped by the police, and I had not informed insurance co. I could get 6 points of my licence and have car confiscated and a fine, not sure what he said for the fine either £250.00 or £2500.
Never occurred to me that it would have been am offense, even though my normal insurance is fully comp. So I think all new transporter should be made aware of that, Also if I was on a run. I would want clear details as to who I was collecting from and where of course, and where I would be delivering.
So for the moment I will put my offer of transport on hold, as I will be a\way for the whole of March and will sort this out when I get back..
I would think if details of collection and changing over were clear enough and insurance checked, it would ease the burden perhaps.
Cate

cate.

Female Number of posts : 19
Name: : catherine wright
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Jod wrote:I'm sorry if you think that's the wrong attitude but I just think we should come to the easiest and most logical solution for all. :S Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Hi Jod... I am sorry if my post wasn't phrased properly, it was not my intention to upset members, merely to point out to peeps that there are methods by which we can safeguard the animals and check that transportation is legitimate. To be totally truthful, I was actually a little put out myself by the "holier than thou" attitude of certain people (None immediately spring to mind - honest!!!) - after all we are here to HELP and ASSIST animals in finding new homes and transporting them safely and securely is surely one of the basic tenets of the site? Any tool we can utilise to assist with this is only an added bonus.

Rescues will not have time to check every driver this is true. All that is required is a list of the registration numbers of vehicles along with type, model etc to be emailed to the rescue for their records. Each member making up a transport run can simply PM this info to the rescue rep to avoid publicising their private details, each member PM's the rescue when they have completed their leg of the journey - then, if anything does go wrong on a run, the rescue can trace the details of the vehicle and driver immediately if necessary - validating their info only at the time it is needed. No one's rights get infringed (except those of the person who has been negligent in the transport run) and no one who has nothing to hide is persecuted unfairly.

Maybe I just oughta keep my head down and say nowt..... zip
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Male Number of posts : 452
Name: : Obi-se-wan
RHU Cases: : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-28

http://www.star-traks-origins.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Mad Lensman wrote:Maybe I just oughta keep my head down and say nowt..... zip
No, no, don't be daft duh These discussions are great, getting everyones ideas out there.

cate. wrote:As a newby on here, and as of yet, have npt dpme a transport run. am been nervous on a few accounts. I think also you need to give guide lines as such.
Hi Cate wave There are some guidelines for transporting on the boards (and for fostering and homechecking) but they're in lots of seperate sections so perhaps it would be a good idea to have a section specifically containing all the most important stickies like these that new members could be directed to as soon as they join.

Or alternatively, all the most important notes on a seperate web page or in a document that could be sent to all new members so they know all the info right from the start, kind of like an RHU handbook.

I today contacted my insurance to see if I had to inform them I would possible being doing this runs, Yes they have to be i9nformed also a charge is made on my insurance....So I think all new transporter should be made aware of that
Technically, this is covered in the note in Transport request threads that says "ANY MEMBER OFFERING TRANSPORT FOR THIS RUN MUST CHECK WITH THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY THAT THEY ARE COVERED TO CARRY THIS ANIMAL ON A VOLUNTARY BASIS. RHU BEAR NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY MEMBER WHO DOES NOT CHECK" but again, maybe this could be added in the special section or web page?
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jod Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Sorry some of that last post was a bit off topic from the 'transport safety' theme wasn't it Smile
Jod
Jod
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:07 pm

(Shut's his "Holier than thou" trap before it opens....!) ROFL

Hi Cate

Some excellent points raised there, especially about everyone checking their insurance - it is amazing what we think we're covered for which we actually are not!!!! (Reversing into BMW M3's is apparently NOT allowed!!!!)

Might be worth a couple of the rescues actually letting us know how they feel about getting us all checked etc!!!

An alternative to all this junk is that we all go and get CRB checked. It costs £12 - provides a reference document for the person concerned and shows that we are actually who we say we are as it is provided by the local police. Peeps of an untrustworthy bent would be unable to pass such stringent checks and as it is a voluntary thing, it would be totally open the the member themselves to ensure it was kept up to date.

(Runs for cover as the next salvo get's loaded......) Smile
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineC Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 pm

you would think that transporting in relation to your insurance would be classed as pleasure as that is the purpose of the journey - not for any financial benefit.i will check at my work with underwriters tomorrow see what they say
ElaineC
ElaineC
RHU friend
RHU friend

Female Number of posts : 1430
Name: : Elaine
RHU Cases: : 12 and 1 on honeymoon!
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby's Mum Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Hmmm... indeed this is interesting I would agree with you Elaine....

The question is do I ask my insurance for clarification and bring it to their attention so they can add a premium at will or in the event of an accident do I just say I was on the way to a friend with their dog? :S

Legally where does one stand if a dog breaks loose and causes an accident. I have pet insurance for my dog which I would expect to call upon it is not something I would expect my car insurance to cover.

If we really start to dig deeper into this whole area we may well scare ourselves into not doing it at all..... Shocked
Ruby's Mum
Ruby's Mum
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 856
Name: : Wendy
RHU Cases: : 27
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineC Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:36 pm

the rescue backups liability cover should cover if the dog escaped and caused an accident
ElaineC
ElaineC
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm

if a dog breaks loose and causes an accident then the rescue you are transporting for should have that covered by their insurance i believe??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:38 pm

this is why it is soooo important to do things with the rescue backup and not straight from a pound to a home via volunteers as there is no insurance to cover such situations

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Just asked a traffic police "friend" ....

"Regardless of the liability insurances held by the rescue organisation, the person currently in charge of the animal when it becomes uncontrolled and causes an RTA would be the person who would be held liable and responsible for the actions of the animal in the eyes of the law."

I wouldn't want to insult him, but that's kind of straight from the horses mouth....!
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby's Mum Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:49 pm

That is reassuring to know. It is not a position I would knowingly put myself into as I try to be ultra cautious as these precious cargo's need to get to their destination safely. However if the dog is particularly large or strong it is possible it could break free with enough encouragement such as a rabbit/squirrel/cat etc.
I recently transported a dog who managed to chew my car interior despite being given a raw hide chew. They got bored with it after 10 mins! I am not going to claim for this on my insurance as I suppose with hindsight a crate would have been sensible as it was known to try and chew it's lead on the last run it went on. Hence I am now saving for a crate!
That said as far as my insurance are concerned I am not driving for financial gain, I am driving doing something I have pleasure doing, as long as I do not exceed my reported annual mileage I don't see what business it is of theirs if their is a dog in my car at any given time of the day or night. If there is someone on here with insurance underwriting experience who can inform me otherwise then I would be interested to hear their side of the story.

Sorry if off topic

I would like to reiterate that I am not adverse to ID cards Wink

Was typing war and peace while other posts came in.... I suspected that the handler was responsible but was not 100% and was happy to accept that the rescue would be covering the dog/s. Hmmm... a serious point to consider..... scratch

Last edited by Ruby's Mum on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruby's Mum
Ruby's Mum
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 856
Name: : Wendy
RHU Cases: : 27
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineC Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm

but you cant insure the animals yourself for liability as you have no insurable interest in them?

god its a minefield lol
ElaineC
ElaineC
RHU friend
RHU friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

ROFL ROFL loving how you put "friend" in inverted comma's Mark!!

ys that is strange, how can you insure something that isn't yours in the first place?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Lensman Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Well, I had to put "friend" didn't I? A$$hole would have been censored....!
Mad Lensman
Mad Lensman
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Been reading the whole thread and the mind boggles!

How about just putting your faith in someone and trusting their judgement. How many dogs are actually 'stolen' and I put that loosely, from a transport run?

If the dog does not get to where it is meant to go investigate why, not start a witch-hunt. Maybe if people listened more, this whole thread would not exist! There are two sides to every story, and if only one is listened to you get exactly what is happening now.

Anyway this is from a Newbie who had just read this thread and goes scratch

Charlotte

Female Number of posts : 4
Name: : Not given
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by vexy Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Sorry but if it is just one that is stolen or goes missing it is one too many & it isn't nor can be a case of just putting faith in people, the world has gone lawsuit mad & there have been a few problems in the past.

I am reading this thread with great interest as I have always thought that there should be some regulations & checks put in place thumb

I am surprised at the insurance part though, as I thought our policy covered volunteers transporting dogs for us............Will check up on that scratch
vexy
vexy
Addicted
Addicted

Female Number of posts : 1751
Name: : Gilly
RHU Cases: : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-20

http://canecorsoukmolosserrescue.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Charlotte wrote:Been reading the whole thread and the mind boggles!

How about just putting your faith in someone and trusting their judgement. How many dogs are actually 'stolen' and I put that loosely, from a transport run?

If the dog does not get to where it is meant to go investigate why, not start a witch-hunt. Maybe if people listened more, this whole thread would not exist! There are two sides to every story, and if only one is listened to you get exactly what is happening now.

Anyway this is from a Newbie who had just read this thread and goes scratch

Hello and welcome to RHU Charlotte, you are presuming a dog hasnt arrive at a destination but the thread is for the well being of all animals, transporters and rescues and our concerns.

I dont see a witch hunt occuring on this thread, merely all safety aspect involved with transporatation.

Please dont make a hasty retreat, if you are able to fill in the database, it would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I gladly fill in your form, where can I find it?

Charlotte

Female Number of posts : 4
Name: : Not given
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next